Rwandan safari companies focus on primates, specifically chimpanzees and gorillas. For gorilla safaris you’ll need to obtain a permit well in advance – the best people to speak to are the Office Rwandaise du Tourisme et des Parcs Nationaux (ORTPN). Below is a selection of recommended safari and tour operators in Rwanda, though unfortunately there’s not too much competition:
- Amahoro Tours Rwanda: www.amahoro-tours.com A locally-run,small sized tour operator in Musanze that offers homestays and cultural tours as well as gorillas.
- Bizidanny Tours & Safaris: www.bizidanny.com Relatively new Kigali based safari operator, gives clients the chance to customise their tours.
- JK Safaris: Rwanda-wide Scandinavian run company offering tours and safaris, come highly recommended – and are also able to arrange permits only if you don’t want to book an entire gorilla tour.
- Thousand Hills: www.thousandhills.rw A well established top end safari company based at the Hotel de Mille Colines in Kigali
- Volcano Safaris: www.volcanosafaris.com With a focus on top end, fly in safaris, Volcano Safaris own the ultra-exclusive Virunga Lodge – a spectacular base from which to visit the gorillas.
- Uzaze Travels: www.uzaze.com A UK based tour operator that organises Africa safaris and hiking adventures to East Africa. In Rwanda Uzaze Travels provides tailor made gorilla trekking tours to Rwanda’s Parc National des Volcans at competitive prices with bilingual tour guides, quality transport and affordable prices.
Have a recommendation for a good safari tour operator in Rwanda? Let us know.