If you’re seeking something more than the usual beach break for your honeymoon, why not opt for the unforgettable experience of an African honeymoon safari. The secluded plains, star-lit skies and stunning sunsets make Africa the perfect destination for romance. For most of us, a safari is a once in a lifetime experience, and what better way to mark the start of your life together than with memories made just for you and your beloved.
The word ‘safari’ evokes images of days in the wild, camping in the outdoors or roughing it in a lodge, but when it comes to a honeymoon safari, the emphasis is very much on luxury living. There is a range of options available, with individual time and budget impacting the choice each couple makes. Begin your planning by considering the time of year you will be going. You won’t want the rainy season to put a dampener on your romantic escape, so check which areas have the best climate for the when you wish to travel and this will considerably narrow your list of options.
The next factor to consider is cost. Of course, these trips don’t come cheap, but when it comes to booking a honeymoon, most couples are happy to spend more than they would on a standard getaway. The accommodation you choose will have a big impact on the price, as will the time of year you are travelling. If you are happy to stay in a luxury tented camp, this will cost less than a treetop lodge or safari hotel. Eight days in a camp in Kenya out of season could cost as little as $1600 per person, while a two-week luxury trip in high season that involves travelling around and visiting cities and beaches as well could add up to around $20,000.
Luxury lodges are expensive, but you do get what you pay for. Most contain private plunge pools, rose-filled baths, gourmet dinners under the stars, 5-star treatment and extra surprises for newlyweds, like a welcoming bottle of champagne. Don’t rule out the option of a tented camp, however. These are also designed for romance, with private verandahs, en-suites containing free-standing baths, king-sized beds and game viewing right on your doorstep.
African honeymoon safaris come as tailor-made packages which can be customised to suit each couple’s individual desires. You can choose to stay in one place, or see more of Africa and travel through several of its regions over a 2 or 3-week itinerary. There are packages available for those who want the best of both worlds. If you wish to escape the wilderness for a while, you can visit major cities such as Cape Town on a City and Safari trip. If you want more of a chill out, start on safari and end on a beautiful, sunny African beach with a Sun and Safari or Island and Safari combination.
Whichever you choose and whatever your budget, rest assured that Africa is a country in which romance blossoms. Where else in the world can you combine days in the wilderness watching wild animals, with afternoons lounging on golden beaches and trips to tropical islands? Start your married life as you mean to go on, with candlelit dinners, lots of private time and a bit of adventure thrown in.
Top Honeymoon Safari Destinations
Southern Africa offers couples the chance to combine game drives with beach breaks. Popular destinations include Mozambique and Namibia. Lake Malawi in Zambia is a great beach and safari option, while the malaria-free Eastern Cape is hassle-free.
Botswana, in particular, is a honeymoon hotspot. It has a wealth of camps and lodges that have stunning suites specially designed with honeymooners in mind. Imagine watching the sunset over the Okavango Delta with a cocktail in hand. That is surely a recipe for pure wedded bliss!
Eastern Africa is another go-to spot for those seeking a Safari and Sun honeymoon. Tanzania is popular and, with everything from private island retreats to luxury lodges around the Ngorongoro Crater, a magical experience is guaranteed.
Kenya has long been a hotspot for honeymooners and romantic getaways, with even the Royal family getting in on the action. William proposed to Kate at the Lewa Safari Camp, while Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip spent their honeymoon at the foot of Mount Kenya.
Honeymoon Safari Tips
- Plan far in advance of your departure date and ensure you apply for any visas you might need well before you go, in case there are problems with your application. You definitely won’t want your honeymoon to be cancelled last minute due to something avoidable!
- Pack appropriately for the climate. African countries may be hot during the day but they can also be wet, and mornings and nights will definitely be cold. Check the forecast and typical conditions for the region you’re visiting before you go.
- Ensure you have received all the necessary inoculations from your doctor before you go and check to see if malaria tablets are advised in the region you are visiting.
- Take out travel insurance – you never know when something could go wrong and you won’t want to start your married life in debt!
More Honeymoon Safari Resources
- Expert Africa have a fab selection of honeymoon safaris all over Africa depending on your budget and the type of trip you’re seeking.
- African Safari Travel act as your own personal safari expert to help you put together a memorable trip.
- HoneymoonSafari.co.za offer tailor-made honeymoon packages across Africa and some great advice on booking and where to go when.