The little five animals of Africa are Ant Lion, Buffalo Weaver, Elephant Shrew, Leopard Tortoise, and Rhinoceros Beetle.
Most people who’ve been on safari will have heard of – or even better seen – Africa’s big five animals of Buffalo, Elephant, Leopard, Lion and Rhino. However, did you know Africa also has a group of little five animals? The little five are much harder to see than the big five, making them more of a challenge when wildlife spotting on safari.
Here are pictures and short overview of each of the little five animals:
Other wildlife ‘fives’
Have you seen the little five animals and are are looking for a new wildlife challenge? For safari aficionados up for ticking all the ‘I’ve seen’ boxes, have you heard about the other groups of 5 animals?
Top countries for safaris
Most read articles
- All about the ‘big five’ animals
- When, where & how to see the great migration
- Collective nouns for animals
- Safari movies to watch before you go
- The ultimate safari reading list
- What are Africa’s most dangerous animals?
- The 6 greatest animal migrations in Africa
- The 20 best malaria-free safari destinations
- The world’s fastest land animals